Mount Davidson, also commonly referred as “Mt. Davidson,” is not only the highest geographic point in San Francisco with great views, it is a beautiful public park enjoyed by many residents and visitors.
In June 2010, SFPUC staff held a special celebration at the top of Mt. Davidson to recognize the completion of three large Water System Improvement Program (WSIP) projects in the area and rededicate a plaque to Mrs. Edmund N. “Madie” Brown, who in 1926 helped preserve Mt Davidson as a public park.
The Mt. Davidson Tank and Pipeline (both located underground), Mt. Davidson Pump Station and the Stanford Heights Reservoir are seismically updated, modern water facilities located on the mountain and nearby residential neighborhood. These three completed WSIP projects ensure water delivery and fire protection in the event of a major earthquake or other disaster.
During the celebration, City staff joined local historians to recognize the courageous grassroots efforts of Mrs. Brown to prevent further residential development on the mountain and preserve the beautiful natural environment for the enjoyment of school children, families and visitors of San Francisco. The original plaque dedicated in 1929 had been vandalized. The plaque was recreated in 2010 by the City and mounted on rock at the top of the mountain.