A Look Back in History: Upgrading Radio Services in 1943

In mid 1943, wartime caution was in the air and the Peninsula Superintendent. For the San Francisco Water Department, it was warning against “trouble” and promoting new communications technology for the San Mateo Sheriff Office. In 1943, a Superintendent of the Water Department contacted the Federal Communications Commission to endorse the San Mateo County Sheriff’s…

A Look Back in History: Sawyer Camp Picnic Reservations in 1925

The Archive has a record of groups taking advantage of Peninsula “Open Space” during the 1925 picnic season. There are a lot of Clubs and Lodges on the list, such as Rotary, Kiwanis, and the San Mateo Elks Club. But several obscure ones are included as well, such as the Bay City Lodge and the…

A Look Back in History: Hetch Hetchy Dam Factoids

The photograph below is the cover to Contract No. 61 of the San Francisco Department of Public Works. The contract is for the construction of Hetch Hetchy Dam. Notice that it is the “Proposal form” of the contract. This contract includes 98 pages of text and 46 pages of drawings. Going through the pages, it…

A Look Back in History: Stream Gauges in Alameda System

On this map, Schussler has circled the locations of stream gauges, many of them adjacent to bridges. “Co. Bridge” can be found adjacent to many of the encircled locations on the map. The map is bounded on the upper left by San Ramon, the lower left by “Ex Mission San Jose,” the upper right by…